Monday 1 October 2012

Photographers...

Irving Penn
I like how Penn's portrait work is done purely in black and white. I especially like this example of Penns work as i think it has a bit of a sinister aspect to it as you don't see the face of the subject, yet they are dressed smartly, suggesting the subject is important. This photograph reminds me strongly of an Artists work, Heiko Muller which is shown below.

(Penn's work)

(Heiko Muller's work)


Loretta Lux
I find this work really strange because it looks slightly like a painting rather than a photograph. I think this is due to the backgrounds used and the very soft colours used.





Sarah Moon
Moon uses produces soft images which are slightly out of focus. I like the image below because i think it looks very delicate, suggesting that the subject is delicate too.





Cindy Sherman
I've studied Sherman before and i find her work really interesting. She dresses up within her photography as stereotypes or anti-stereotypes. I like these because it challenges the norm or relates to it. The images below, for example, shows a well dressed woman sitting very 'unlady-like' and making actions with her hands with wouldn't be associated with the 'higher class'. I like the vivid tones in Sherman's work, as i think this makes the subject appear bold.






Gregory Crewdson
I love Crewdson's work. I love how vibrant the images are and how each one tells a story. I think its really clever how the composition and the lighting together make the images appear a bit sinister, especially this image with the woman stood in light whereas the rest of the frame is much darker.



Nan Goldin
Much of Goldin's work reminded me of the film 'Trainspotting', how the surroundings all seem a bit bleak and with the images relating to drugs/addiction, i think this adds to the meaning behind the images. Non of the subjects appear to look happy in the images and especially the image below the subjects are slightly out of focus and i see this as portraying the message that if in the situation that these people obviously are, everything is slightly out of focus to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment